Thursday, September 25, 2014

Storytelling, Week 6: The Story of Mankanaka: Final

When almost always surrounded on all sides by the eruption of lush green grass, why is it then that we just let it lie and leave it to be consumed by animals? One would think that such a resource ought to be utilized by the likes of men. However, there once was a man who only indulged himself with heaping piles of grass, never straying from the consumption of the sweet savory stalks. This is the story of Mankanaka and his power over the world.

Mankanaka was a common man, choosing to live a spiritual life within the forest, always trying to find a path towards enlightenment. From a young age, Mankanaka believed that the best way to achieve his goal was to truly become one with nature, never taking the life of another and only eating what the Earth provided to him. This idea started off well for him, but after some time the man developed a taste for only one item in the world. He loved the taste of grass and the spirituality that he believed it brought to him. In the spring the grass was a vibrant green, tasting sweet and succulent. In the fall it began to brown, giving it more of an earthy quality in both taste and appearance. In the winter Mankanaka had to find ways to rejuvenate the grass that was now dried out and brittle, most often stewing it back to life. The changes in seasons continually kept Mankanaka on his feet, never growing tired of the taste of grass. One day while he was in a field of tall grass, harvesting his lunch, Mankanaka accidentally swung his sickle a little too far and gashed his left arm. Expecting to see a red gush begin to flow, he was quite surprised when instead of red, a green fluid began to drip out. Wondering what exactly was occurring, he dipped the tip of his finger into the substance and tasted what lay below. To his amazement, the substance tasted exactly like the grass he was surrounded by. He became enamored with this realization and began to dance around in pure bliss, believing that he had finally achieved true enlightenment. Other creatures and people began to notice Mankanaka's happiness and followed in the pursuit of his joy. All began to dance and all became enthralled with joy. As this occurred, the gods began to notice what was happening down on Earth. The world was beginning to spin violently out of control and the only hope of stopping it was to end the dancing of Mankanaka. Shiva was sent down by the gods to do so.

As Shiva approached Mankanaka, those around him began to stop dancing, enchanted by the beauty and power of the god. Mankanaka, however, didn't even notice the presence of Shiva and continued to rapidly spin round and round. As with a coin spinning on a table, Shiva quickly and abruptly placed a finger atop the head of Mankanaka and stopped him in his tracks. As he looked the god in the eyes, he knew that he had created trouble in this world. Shiva explained to him what it was that he was doing and that if he continued his dancing, the end of the world would come at the movement of his feet. Then, just as quickly as Shiva had appeared, the god was gone and all eyes were on Mankanaka. He told all to go away and he returned to his quest for enlightenment, only sometimes indulging in his favorite feast of springtime grass.

Shiva, The Savior of Mankanaka 
Source: Wikipedia

Author's Note: This is based off of The Story of Mankanaka, a tale in the Mahabharata written by Buck. In this tale, Mankanaka only eats grass, which causes him to bleed a green substance. This causes his happiness and continual dancing that disrupts the Earth. His dancing threatens to destroy the world so the gods send Shiva to attempt to stop his actions. Unlike the original story I have Shiva come to Mankanaka in his true form because I believe it better conveys the seriousness of the issue and his power to those dancing. Also, in the original story it is ash that flows from Shiva's veins when he is cut to show his power to Mankanaka. I thought that having the grass ooze out from Mankanaka better exemplified the connection he had to nature and the amount of grass he had consumed. I chose this story because it revolves around food, a very common topic within the Indian epics. I plan to continue finding stories with aspects of food lying within them and further elaborating on this topic. I will also begin to add various recipes for Indian dishes that I have found along the way well researching this topic. Food, as in most cultures, plays an important role in not only to the history of India but also because of the impact it plays religiously. As I continue on with this story theme I would begin to add various culture tips and/or fun facts regarding their food culture. The Story of Mankanaka was a very basic start of the stories that I hope are to come continually improving on the content and knowledge that will be passed unto the readers.

Buck, W. (1973). Mahabharata. University of California Press.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Austin. I love the way that you chose to present the story of Mankanaka. The details that you have given throughout the tale are amazing. I love how you describe the scenes throughout your story, bringing it to life. The colors and transitions are well written. I look forward to reading some of your upcoming stories. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin, you were extremely detailed in your story retelling - something I can definitely appreciate. Also, the story you selected was great. I found it quite humorous. Also, I really liked the ending of your story - "...only sometimes indulging in his favorite feast of spring time grass." That's a great ending to a great story! Looking forward to what you write in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Austin! Great job on this story! You are very detailed which really helps the reader get into the story. Your descriptions are very clever! All of the transitions were very well written! I liked Shiva's character in this. Enjoy your weekend watching the game! I look forward to reading the rest of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Austin! Wow- you’re story was so creative and written in such a great way. I loved all the description that you provided and the words you used such as “enticed” and “indulging.” It really added to the story. Also, the picture you chose to use was very appropriate and well chosen. Keep up the great work and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Austin!
    I loved your Storytelling post for this week! It was very creative and full of detail. This is the kind of story that you can actually picture in your head as your reading. It makes it all much more interesting. The picture you chose worked well with your story as well.
    You said that as you continue with your stories, you want to add culture tips and facts about their food culture and I think that's a great idea! I can't wait to read more of your stories as the semester goes on! You did a really good job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this retelling is amazing. You’ve got great descriptions going in the story, and I really love it. Your first sentence drew me in and cut my heart open with imagery and perfection. I think you did great with the character of Mankanaka and I just wish there were more for me to read! As for cons, while the beginning of your story did beautiful things with imagery, some parts of your story fell flat. You had a wonderful opportunity when Mankanaka cuts himself and bleeds green, but you didn’t give me much. I wanted to see, feel and taste in Mankanaka shoes, but I could do none of that. I wish I knew why Mankanaka’s dancing was going to end the world. Just adding something like “Mankanaka twirled in joy and the Earth spun in horror, for as Mankanaka reaped the happiness of his predicament, the Earth reaped the sorrows and spun closer and closer to imminent destruction”. I think you had some great action, but not quite enough explanation. I’m really in love with this piece, though, and I hope you reread it and take it to the next level because I think you have a lot of talent and I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Your story is really good. I agree with Tia, your first sentence was very good a hooking me into reading it. The writing was very clean and easy to follow. You did a great job with the characters and allowed me to easily follow what was happening. I also think you used great imagery throughout your writing. I felt at some places in your story, you really described what was happening in a very detailed way, however, at others, you kind of let up with the descriptive adjectives. Overall, great story and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Austin!! So I had not yet read any of the stories in your portfolio, and decided that that could not stand any longer. Thus I began to read the most recent story you posted there, “The Story of Mankanaka.”

    First off, I just wanted to say that your introductory paragraph into this story was incredibly evocative and informative enough to grasp the reader’s attention while not giving too much away. So great job, right off the bat! Secondly, I love how well you are able to describe not only the physical changes in the grass throughout the seasons, but also the changes in its taste. Not something I would ever think about, and yet the way you describe it makes it not only believable but almost factual. So again, great work.

    Thirdly, I had never heard this story before and yet from just your retelling I have fallen in love with it. The idea that one man could be so one with the world, and yet could have no idea that his every action affected the world so drastically! Astonishing. I am about to start Buck’s Mahabharata this week, so now I know I have a new story to look forward to. Fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fun story for you to retell. I like that you chose a story that doesn't deal with the main characters/main plot of the story. It gives a fresh and new story to read.

    You don't really change much of the story, but the details and descriptions you add are very good. I could really visualize your story. The grass changing with the seasons, the green blood, and I really like the image of Mankanaka spinning like a coin and Shiva stopping him by pressing on his head.

    It's interesting that you chose this story because of its focus on food. I hadn't really noticed it before, but there are a lot of stories - many of them kinda weird - about food. It's true that food is an important part of any culture, and it often takes on symbolic value. I wonder what other food stories you will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Austin!

    Great job on picking the story! I honestly didn't even remember this story being told in the Mahabharata. I probably just skimmed right over it; so great job picking this story and shedding light on something so minor and making it major.

    I enjoyed all the detail you put into describing the grass, the green blood, the gash, and Shiva arriving on Earth to stop him. I easily followed along and the transitions from paragraph to paragraph were very smooth. I like how you ended the story with Mankanaka only indulging in grass occasionally now, instead of eating it daily. Shiva must have really gotten to his head when he told Mankanaka that he would end the world because of the movement of his feet.

    I love how your stories focus around some type of food. Food is pretty important in almost every culture. Their different spices, techniques, etc. all have some sort of value and importance. I love trying new food and even just reading/watching stuff about food. I feel like I grew up watching the Food Network. When I was little, my mom would always make me turn off my cartoons so she could watch the Food Network. Haha.

    Can't wait to see what else you have in store Austin! Great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this story signifies the foods we eat. But are there other meanings to this story.

    ReplyDelete