Monday, September 22, 2014

Storytelling: Jatayu (Final Revision)

Frantically they searched the forest, looking for any sign that may lead them to Sita's captor. They began to find pieces of armor, larger than any man could wear yet sliced clean through like warm butter. Next came an axle shooting straight out of the ground and erupting through the canopy, greatly taller than any tree. Then there it was - through the trees Rama could make out the shape of what he thought to be a bird but like none he had ever seen before. Unaware of whether this beast would be friend or foe, Rama and Lakshamana slowly crept through the tree line in an effort to conceal their movement. As they broke through the final branches, towering above them laid Jatayu, the bird king. He was the most magnificent thing either of the men had ever seen, pure white with a feathering that looked like silk. He had a sort of sheen about him that illuminated the leaves all around almost like a beacon in the middle of a churning sea. However, as they moved closer, they began to realize that Jatayu was badly injured. They began to piece together the clues, assuming that this great beast must have been the one responsible for the shredded armor and wagon pieces scattered throughout the forest. Jatayu turned to Rama with an unbreakable gaze and said, "I am Jatayu, king of the heavens and all those who fly within it. I tried to save your wife from the demon king but my old age has weakened me. We fought one another across the heavens but just as victory was in sight, I was fooled by my own doing; it looked as though I had removed Rama's arms but they grew back as I was focused on his ten heads. This is when he struck his final blow, parting my wings from my body, watching me plummet to this very spot. Will you help me to pass onto the next world and if granted, return to you one day in your debt?"

Rama was saddened to see this great hero pass, but knew that it was his duty to fulfill the wishes of Jatayu and give him a proper funeral. Rama and Lakshamana began to cut down nearby trees and build a pyre around the dying king. Rama took off his meager robes and draped them over the king to represent their newly created bond and Jatayu's sacrifice. The pyre was so great in size that it took the two men the remainder of the day to finish it, completing it just as the golden sun began to sink beneath the western shore.
Just as Rama was to light the pyre, Jatayu once again caught his gaze and forced out his final words, "You will find her; never lose hope."

Rama dropped the torch after hearing this and the pyre caught ablaze. It glowed with a beauty that only further reminded him of Sita and her golden brown skin. As he looked away, holding back tears, something strange began to happen. The fire began to engulf Jatayu and beat almost as that of a bird’s wing. It then began to change colors, first a subtle orange, then a vibrant yellow, and finally a blistering red. Out of the flames rose the spirit of Jatayu, reborn once again. As he took flight out of the flames, Rama knew that this would not be his last encounter with Jatayu; when needed, he would appear to fulfill his promise.


     Ravana and Jatayu in Battle 
(Source: Wikipedia )


Author's note: This is my take on the funeral of Jatayu and a more in-depth look at the events that may have occurred during this time. The stories of Jatayu and his brother Sampati are some of my favorites within the epics but I feel that they are often skimmed through and not given the amount of detail that they deserve. The battle that occurs between Ravana and Jatayu is another example of a lacking portion and I especially felt the shortage during the funeral of Jatayu. This character represents everything that is good in the world and lives only to benefit the lives of those around him. He is then murdered by the ruthless demon king, Ravana, trying to prevent the capture of Sita and return her to her lover, Rama. Such acts of selfless bravery deserve to be spoken of and the funeral of such a being ought to be adequately represented. This is why I chose to rewrite this story and embellish it in the ways in which I felt appropriate. I focused primarily on the use of colors in order to add visual detail and hopefully help the readers to better picture the scene for themselves. I also wanted to show the magnificence that comes to mind when I read about the bird king, Jatayu, by better describing his features and the general presence that he has.   

Buck, William. "The Golden Deer." Ramayana. Los Angeles: U of California, 1976. 173-175. Print.

13 comments:

  1. Ooooh what a neat story! The detail you added was incredible- from the colors to the dialogue to reminding us of Sita, and everywhere in between. I really like how you presented Jatayu with such grace and honor, as he should be. He did such a noble thing, and I believe you did a great job to portray that. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jatayu was one of my favorite characters in the book. He reminded me a lot of the eagles in The Lord of the Rings trilogies. If you haven't read the books, you really should! I love that you selected the funeral of Jatayu for your story. It's an awesome opportunity to examine the possibilities of what could have taken place. Also, I love that you said that his character "represents everything that is good in the world." Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beginning of your story does a great job of building suspense. The description of armor torn to shreds is quite foreboding. You also do a great job of showing the massive scale of Jatayu with your description of the trees. The way you describe Jatayu really paints him as a majestic and powerful creature. Your dialogue does a great job of putting words and thoughts behind such a creature, it sounds like something Jatayu would really say. I like the details of the burial ceremony, it reads as though Rama was very grateful for what Jatayu had done and wanted to lay him to rest in a respectful and honorable way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, I love the background of your Portfolio. I don't know if it was meant to coincide with your story or not, but it adds a nice touch. Opening the page, I instantly imagined myself in this forest with dark gloomy gray clouds. It adds a nice tone. I enjoyed the way that you opened your story. It was the perfect amount of mystery and suspense to hook the reader and pull them in, great job!

    I think that you could add a tiny bit more detail to the imagery regarding Jatayu. Maybe describe his bright golden eyes or his long claws or something? And you could also maybe describe the wound? I know that seems a little gory and drastic, but you doing this would help the reader feel so much connected with Jatayu and the pain that Ravana has caused him.

    The dialogue and the entire ceremony is great! I loved the little detail you added about Rama covering Jatayu with his golden robe as a sign of their new bond and friendship. This is different from any story i've read in this class so far and I think you did a great job with the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Austin, great story I must say I enjoyed reading the whole thing without getting distracted. I think it's great that you have all of your reader's attention while they read the story. Firstly, I love your background I think it pictures the whole scene of Sita being carried off by Ravana completely. Also, how you described the whole scene is on point! The dialogues and the whole story was told perfectly. I like how you used your own version and created something new with this whole scene and that definitely catches the reader's eye. Overall, I think you have done a great job with your story and the background is a big highlight and the picture fits the idea perfectly as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Austin,

    I’m really impressed with your writing. I appreciate your style, and I think you communicate really well. You actually really brought to life Rama and Lakshmana’s encounter with Jatayu. I love that you expounded on the scenario of what possibly could have happened all while keeping the story quite accurate.

    I’m not fluffing this up to reach the 200 word count – I actually mean this. Your writing is some of the best I’ve seen in Mythology and Folklore as well as Indian Epics. You really brought the story to light, and it made me view the relationship between Jatayu and Rama very differently.

    You conveyed a lot of really, really strong points. I love the way you built up the story until it’s fruition: “You will find her; never lose hope.” You really hammered that line home, and it spoke the message of the story really clearly. On top of that, I really liked the ending. I appreciated the way you exemplified his death and rebirth and the transition between the two was really beautiful.

    I’m not kidding when I tell you that I actually enjoyed reading your story. The rendition captures the spirit of the story wonderfully while conveying a few of your own ideas.


    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Austin! I really enjoyed this story! One correction I thought I would mention is that you said that Jatayu removed Rama's arms in the first paragraph when you meant Ravana's arms, which I've noticed is an easy mistake to make, considering that I have also done that! Their names are so similar. Aside from that, I thought the writing was in great shape! The content of the story really brought to life the story of how Lakshmana and Rama found Jatayu. Although the Ramayana did not go as far into the story as you did, I felt that it should have, so I'm glad you did! The story of Jatayu was one of my favorite within the Ramayana because he was so brave and selfless. I really like that you gave him a proper funeral. I love how you portrayed Jatayu to be so majestic and kind, telling Rama with his last words not to give up hope on finding Sita. The way that you Jatayu's spirit was reborn in the flames was beautiful and a wonderful ending to the story. My favorite thing about your story is how you really made it your own and gave Jatayu a greater role than the Ramayana did, which he truly deserved! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Austin. I think that this is the first time that I’ve visited your blog, so I gotta say that your background is pretty cool. The first thing that stood out to me about your story was all of the awesome imagery. Great job of developing your setting and exposing us to the aftermath of Jatayu and Ravana’s battle. Something that I noticed while reading was that your font changed about halfway through the first paragraph, then it returned to the previous font at the start of the second paragraph. Not that it affects your story, I just thought you should know. In that same area, I also noticed a typo. You accidentally said that Jatayu had removed Rama’s arms instead of Ravana’s arms. On the off-chance that somebody doesn’t realize what you meant, that might make a big difference in how they interpret what’s going on in your story. haha The conclusion to your story was excellent! As I’ve said in several of my posts, I usually like to think of Jatayu and Sampati as eagles, but the way that you described Jatayu kind of resembles a phoenix (with the rising from the ashes thing). If I didn’t already have an idea for the conclusion of my storybook, I would definitely use your idea to reunite Jatayu and Sampati. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey good evening Austin! I really enjoyed reading your story. The imagery you used was very vibrant and in good detail. I completely agree with you on the fact that the original story did not focus nearly enough on the battle of Ravana or Jatayu. I am really glad you decided to elaborate on the subject. A story such as this one was in need of elaborating mainly because any great selfless act of honor deserves more focus. One of the parts I enjoyed most from your story was the quote you used for Jatayu’s last words. While Jatayu was already an awesome dude for sacrificing himself for a good cause, he became an even more all around great guy when he used his last words to spur on Rama and give him hope. I also really liked how you described the funeral and the spirit of Jatayu moving onto the next world. I loved how you made it into a very ceremonial event with a lot of feeling. Also, the way you had the fire change colors and the spirit shoot towards the heavens was well done. Well keep up the awesome work! I hope to read more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Austin! I just your week 6 Storytelling post so I figured I'd read this one too. Jatayu was a character that I found to be very interesting as I was reading. And you really did a good job interpreting how you saw him. I like how you added that he moved on into the next world. He sure deserves it. You have a great use of detail in this story and it was super interesting to read.
    I also really like your background, it works very well with your stories. I don't know if that was planned or not.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job interpreting an interesting character like Jatayu. I used Jatayu in some of my storytelling posts because I thought he was a dynamic character too. I like how you described the funeral of Jatayu and how he moved in to the next world. I think it really shows just how important the death of Jatayu is in the epics. Your outline to your portfolio is really good too. I think the portfolio picture and background really help to set the tone for the stories and create an easy place for the reader to read your stories. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! There is some amazing writing going on here! There was one line, “As they broke through the final branches, towering above them laid Jatayu, the bird king” that should be lay instead of laid. That’s all I really had about the writing. It was beautiful and the description was amazing. I did, however, have some issues with the formatting of your story. You had three paragraphs in this story and from my counting, there should have been at least 10-15. Story writing is a lot different from essay writing. There are a lot more paragraphs. Like when characters speak? That needs to be a paragraph all it’s own. If this helps explain the simplistic length of paragraphs in stories, the second paragraph of your story should have started on the word “next”. It’s a new idea, so it’s a new paragraph. If there’s a shift in tone or a new story point it needs to be a new paragraph. If you leave it in this bulk form, you’ll lose a lot of readers. Their eyes glaze over and they only skim your work. You can’t rely on having pretty writing to keep readers, you need to make it easier and more inviting to readers by separating everything out. Take my comment for instance. Wouldn’t this have been less intimidating a obnoxious had I separated it out? Yes, it would have.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Austin! This is the second story of yours in this portfolio that I have commented on, and may I just say that you continue to impress me! In this retelling, you manage to portray so many details, presenting the reader with fantastic imagery that really emphasize the importance of this scene. But even beyond that, you are able to put so much emotion into these details, to distill down such a depth of feeling into small but powerful statements. The entire story is so poignant, it's almost unreal.

    However, I do agree with Tia’s comments in that this story looks very intimidating in the way it is blocked off. You have a lot of opportunities where you can add in a slight pause in the reading by adding a paragraph break, which would only serve to emphasize the drama in the story. So breaking your story up a bit is something that you could do to further enhance it without needing to put in a lot of time.

    The only other problem I have is with the introduction to this story. You jump right in with, “Frantically they searched the forest,” which is very in media res of you. And I have no problem with that. But I do think that you need to state that the “they” is Rama and Lakshmana a lot earlier than you do. The way it is now, your tale assumes that the reader is in the midst of reading the Ramayana, when in reality this may not be true. Introducing the characters earlier is, again, a tiny fix, but will make a big difference in the tale’s presentation.

    Overall, though, great job!

    ReplyDelete