Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1: Introduction

Hi guys. My name is Austin Vaughan and I am a senior from Plano, Texas. I have lived in Plano for most of my life other than a few years spent in Chicago. I am a health and exercise sciences major with an emphasis on pre-dental. The overall goal is to become an oral surgeon but I've got some time before that is even in the cards. Do to my major and personal life I am very interested in health and fitness. I actually work at a nutrition shop in Norman and I am also training to compete in my very first triathlon. I also really enjoy the outdoors and spend a lot of time duck hunting and snowboarding. This summer I was lucky enough to visit Italy and spend some time abroad. This was an amazing experience and I loved being able to see an entirely different style of living. I'd have to say my favorite city in Italy was Florence. There were thousands of people everywhere we looked and their nightlife was great. I am currently planning a backpacking trip for myself and two other friends for the upcoming summer as a graduation gift to ourselves. We will be visiting at least 8 different countries and be in Europe for over a month. I am also planning on heading to Crested Butte, Colorado for the fourth year in a row for the upcoming spring break. My friends and I have made a tradition out of this trip and none of us are really beach people anyways. I cannot wait to be out of this miserable heat and surrounded on all sides by mountains and snow. I hope this sheds a little light upon who I am and what I am interested in. Anything else that any would like to know please feel free to ask. 

What happens when I shave 
(Photo taken by Katie Hill) 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Austin,

    I really admire how you like to travel. I do as well! There are so many different places and countries I want to visit throughout the world. The backpacking trip you are planning sounds so awesome! I wish you the best of luck with that! I enjoyed doing homecoming with you and the other DUs last year! There is no way any other group had the bond we all did!

    Best,
    Britney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small world, Austin - I was just at the dentist's this week... and I sure do like my dentist! This is the first dentist I've ever had who can make me feel relaxed. She sings while she works! Not your typical dentist, but I think she's great, and she really loves what she does too - and it sounds like you have got your sights set on something you will enjoy too! I hope you will have fun with this class too, learning about a new part of the world... even if you never get a chance to travel to India, this course will introduce you to some of the stories and places that make it an amazing place. And it sounds like you will get to visit some amazing places with your summer backpacking trip... even just planning a trip like that would be a real pleasure I bet. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you live in Chicago? Are you a cubs fan? My parents are from Chicago and we go there every year or so but I watch every cubs game! What nutrition shop do you work at? I really admire your interest in seeing the world. How many countries have you visited? I am so so jealous that you and your friends are going to go backpacking around Europe! That is a dream of mine but I do not have the money right now to do that! Have the best semester and I look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Austin! It’s great to meet you…at least virtually. That’s so neat you spent a few years in Chicago- I lived there for two years myself and it’s so different from the south. Seeing the city lights shine in the dark of the night is so beautiful and my favorite part of the city. Anyways, congrats on being almost through with school and I hope you have safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Austin! Nice to get to know you! Do you miss Chicago? I still haven't been there, but it is definitely on my list of places to go in the future. Where did you go in Europe besides Italy? I was there last semester and for some of the summer. I had a great time. I completely understand the desire to go back. It is a great idea to make a backpacking trip be your graduation present. Have a great semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Austin! I'm from Tulsa but I have a lot of friends from Plano. That is very cool that you are training for you first triathlon, that takes major dedication and effort. I enjoy hunting as well, although I haven't been able to go this past year. I love skiing, so I understand your passion for snowboarding. Crested Butte is actually my favorite place to go skiing, International is probably my favorite run there. I used to go to Crested Butte at least once a year, it is a great place even when there isn't snow on the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I am so jealous of your backpacking trip! That is so exciting. My best friend and I really want to go backpacking sometime. How much money do you usually have to save up for that? Anyway, you sound like you have lived the life. Trips to Colorado, Florence, Europe…it’s crazy! I’ll just go sit in a corner and be jealous, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Austin! It's awesome that you and your friends are keeping up with your spring break tradition, regardless of whether or not it's "traditional" in and of itself, haha. Also, I am planning on spending the spring semester abroad in Italy, so it's always great to hear of what places and experiences abroad they really enjoyed--it helps me to plan where I should travel and what I should do while I'm there. Congrats on plans to participate in your first triathlon, and I hope your backpacking trip across Europe works out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey if you need any information on places to go or see I have a lot of stuff that I have written for other people going abroad. Let me know if you'd like any of it (Lists of bars, restaurants, etc.)

      Delete
  9. Hey Austin, it's nice to make your e-quaintance, man. I think it's awesome that you have so many opportunities to travel. I have hardly been out of Oklahoma, let alone the country, so you're way ahead of me there. I'll satisfy my wanderlust someday. Until then I'll continue to live vicariously through you and my other friends who've made a hobby out of global citizenship, so to speak.

    I have a good friend who loves in Chicago, and she's been trying to get me up there forever. I'd really love to check out Chicago's jazz scene, so lemme know if you've got any recommendations.

    Good luck with the remainder of the semester!

    ReplyDelete